Club Phone #:
History of Gull Lake Yacht Club
By Carl Zapffe
The Gull Lake Yacht Club was organized in 1947 by Sam Hickerson and Marmaduke Corbyn. The two men came up with ideas for the Club while sitting on Corbyn's porch and watching a boat cross Rock Island.
From 1947 - 1949 the two men set out to recruit members. Once a few joined, the Club's first project was marking and dredging the upper channel.
Some of the first members were: Ray Madison... Irv Anderson... Emil Reiman... Miles McNally... Frank Russell... Mrs. T. Hohtanz... Walt Leonard... Thor Knudson... Bill Graham.
In 1950, the incorporation of the Gull Lake Yacht Club was announced by Eleanor Nolan and their first annual outing was held at Lost Lake Lodge. At this time, the treasurer's report showed a total of $726.00 in their bank account.
By the end of 1950, the Club began to falter with only sporadic meetings being held. Hence Marmaduke Corbyn became Commodore in 1952 and tried to hold his "dream child" together. The following active members were added: Walter Weiland...Morris Churney...Willard Johnston...Martin Dullum...Browney Cote...Richard Blaylock.
By 1954, 22 members attended the first meeting of the year and Commodore Benjamin Curry suggested having a sailing program. By 1955, membership grew to 32 and in 1956, under Commodore Ray Madison, GLYC held its first boat parade. Although a success, the problem of litter being thrown in the lake was discussed.
Doubling from three years ago, 44 members had joined by 1957 and Eve Bachr became secretary for the GLYC. By 1958, under Commodore Dr. Jack Echternacht, Eve became the first lady Vice Commodore.
The Club's first sailing program became organized in 1959, and consisted of members: Jim and Bob Johnston, Jack Crowther, Jim, Dick, Harold Gregory, Denise Zapffe and Willard Johnston. The GLYC Commodore was Bill Harris.
In 1960, 98 members attended the June Club meeting at the Pine Beach Hotel under Commodore Harry Lennartz. In July, 206 attended a GLYC party at Old Bar Harbor.
GLYC property was purchased in 1961 by Walter Weiland. It was then suggested by Club members that a Club building be constructed. Members of the building Committee were: Willard Johnston, Clarence Hanson and Arnold Haugland, architect.
(1961) Regatta # 1 - 60 boats
(1962) Regatta # 2 - 73 boats
(1963) Regatta # 3 - 77 boats
(1964) Regatta # 4 - 88 boats
A grounds committee was organized in the mid-sixties and included: Stan Munger, Dorothy Chaney and Denise Zapffe.
The club also organized a water-skiing club for younger members and sailing classes were held under the instruction of David Gamble.
In 1967, GLYC joined the Inland Lakes Yachting Association. The Club's first dock was then built by Pat O'Hornett.
Dr. Ed Kelly was Commodore from 1968-69 and at this time M-16 boats were added to the regatta. The first "Cross-Gull Swim" was held in '68, with 54 swimmers and 30 guard boats crossing Gull Lake on a Sunday afternoon. The swim was organized by Carl Zapffe and the winner was Robert Gmeinder.
Carl Zapffe became Commodore in 1971 and began publishing "The Big Wind" for GLYC on almost a weekly basis!
In 1972 Loue Baker became Commodore and the Bridgerama became active under the leadership of Jane Weizenegger.
1975 emerged with a "Hard Water" winter party held with skiing, snowmobiling, etc. Commodore was Doug Arndt. In 1976 the J Boat Fleet became active under Gene Driesson, and the 15th Annual Regatta was held.
In 1977, under Commodore Paul Anderson, the ILYA M-16 Regatta was held and sponsored by GLYC. In '78, the first Keel Boat Race was organized by Doug Arndt, Jr. The GLYC mortgage was officially paid up and the Commodore was Wayne Harmon.
The first lady Commodore, Ann Kelly was named in 1979. She served with Commodore Wayne Harmon.
This history compiled by Carl Zapffe ends in 1979.